Thursday, July 15, 2010

40 days and 40 nights




It is raining again... or rather...it is still raining
here in Bogota. I have asked dozens of soaked pedestrians when the rainy season here ends. The best answer I got was: “ Haven´t you read that chapter in
Cien Anos in which Marquez wrote:

“ It rained for four years, eleven months, and two days. There were times when it misted and everyone put on their pontfical clothing and an expression of convalescence to celebrate the clearing, but soon they became accustomed to interpreting the pauses as announcements of
something more forceful to come.” (my rough translation)

This morning there was a note on the breakfast table at my Bogota hostal that read:

“Water shortage in Bogota. There will be no water until 8 tonight.”

No hot shower of usual today, just a “bano de gata” (cat´s bath) from a pan of water heated on the woodstove.

I imagine that you must be asking yourselves the same question as I am right now;
How can a city where it rains everyday, that averages 64 inches of rainfall in the month of July, be out of water?!!

One possible answer is that the residents waste water, though this doesn´t seem to be the most probable answer.

55 % of potable water is used in the showers and toilets in peoples homes, according to a 2008 statistic from the newspaper El Tiempo. About 31% is used in the kitchen. And, as usual, the richest sectors of Bogota consume more than the rest. In 2008, each habitant used and average of 76 liters daily. However, compared to the US, which uses up to 5 times more residentially, these are relatively low rates of consumption.

But this “shortage” of a few hours is nothing compared to what Bogotanos used to experience before mayor (and recent presidential candidate) Mockus began his campaign for social reforms.

According to a report by the Harvard Gazette, “When there was a water shortage, Mockus appeared on TV programs taking a shower and turning off the water as he soaped, asking his fellow citizens to do the same. In just two months people were using 14 percent less water, a savings that increased when people realized how much money they were also saving because of economic incentives approved by Mockus; water use is now 40 percent less than before the shortage."

Folk wisdom around here says that if you take your umbrella with you when you leave the house, it won't rain. Days have passed since the bano de gata (not forty yet, but I wouldn't be surprised) and I'm still looking for an answer to the water question.

I'll continue my search, but in the meantime, I'm learning to take the pitter patter of rain drops as a writing prompt, and doing internet research on how to build and arc.





1 comment:

  1. Dear Nicole,

    Teresa Mangum passed the link to your blog on to me, and I'm DELIGHTED to read it, and also to know of your great adventure! (We are just back from a trip to the Galapagos, so I've been thinking about Latin America lately....)

    I actually have a question to ask you, so I'm wondering if you'd be good enough to send me an e-mail at linda-kerber@uiowa.edu

    "talk" soon!
    best,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete